Abram's Kin

08 March 2006

Same extended family, different ideas

Wanted to make a comment and ask a question in response to something Josh said last night. It's only been in the last year that I've learned that ancient (B.C.) Jewish thinking did not tend to include the idea of an afterlife or heaven as we think about it today (and learned it from a friend who is also a big NT Wright fan, go figure). So I identify with Josh's sentiment that there's got to be more in their worldview/identity than just, "I'm a part of the nation of Israel and that's good enough for me."

True, part of it is me/us projecting a Christian understanding onto ancient Jewishness, something that is often not helpful and something against which NTW seems always to be working. But at the same time I think it's an entirely fair question to ask since all the other major religions are very much interested in what happens after we die and what affects our status then. Hinduism, Buddhism and Islam--whose adherents also count themselves among Abram's kin--all have some stance or another on the matter. And since its closest cousins--Christianity and Islam--have well-developed notions of heaven, I think it's logical to wonder about Judaism's view on it.

So does anyone know? Either from an ancient or a modern day perspective?

Sing with me now...

2 Comments:

  • We are Family. I got all my sisters with me...

    Well, you asked for singing.

    Personally, I think it has a lot to do with our culture. Particularly in the US where everything is individualized and made to our specifications. It's almost impossible for us to wrap our minds around the fact that people lived in collective, with extended families and communities and tribes. The good of one person was not held up over the good of the community. Lives intermingle. They do here but we don't think often on how they intermingle. How does my life impact those around me? Whether I drive or walk or ride a bike to work. Whether I buy clothes made in a sweatshop or not. Do I think about buying or not buying things made in China?

    When the president or Pat Robertson says some stupid ass thing do we all cringe b/c this person is supposed to be a Christian and is giving the Christian community a bad name?

    OK. Not terribly scholarly. Just my thoughts this afternoon.

    By Blogger Hannita, at 3:14 PM  

  • This is a fun topic, and I am curious to discover ancient Jewish belief systems concerning the afterlife. I think the reason it is so interesting is because these things so directly affect the way we view God, and our purposes on Earth. So, in other words, if B.C. Jews had a vague, yet positive, concept of the afterlife, and if they were happy with that, then what does that say about who God is to them? It says that He is "real-time," or in other words, he is presently active, and he values the here and now. Also, this view denotes an overwhealming trust in God--i.e. the more I trust God, the less I am addicted to thoughts of 'the afterlife' because I am confident in His goodness and His sovereignty. I trust that the best parts of life that I experience (in the here and now) are His own creation, and a shadow of what originally was, and what will finally be! Therefore, I am confident that however it happens, His will ushers me into "better things." And of course, this denotes a confidence in the fundamental goodness of God. And of course, this assures us that B.C. living dealt with 'heart issues' and recognized that God is not a God of whimsical character or flippant anger, but a God of longsuffering and steadfast love. A God, in fact, who is Good. And we can see it all over the Old Testament...

    just some thoughts,

    Josh

    By Blogger Josh, at 1:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home